Monday, July 23, 2012

Berbere Meatball Bento

Back with a few bentos while I still can take a picture in natural light. I got the idea of berbere meatballs, on Lunchbox Blues he uses many different meats for his meatballs and such. I had to try some bison to see what it was all about. I picked up a roast from Whole Foods and prepared it in my Le Crueset French oven, almost like you would short ribs. It was very tasty, but very expensive.  Anyway I don't use ground beef so I used ground pork here in these meatballs. You could really use whatever you like, chicken, turkey, lamb, if you like it you can use it.

I didn't have a Berbere spice mix so after I cleaned out my spices, and re-labeled them and such, I had a clear view of what I had and what I needed. I like to use the stainless steel spice jars, they have a clear glass top, but I still think I can keep most of the light out from them. I mixed my own Ethiopian spice blend and I loved it. I know I will use it in many things not just stews and such. I will post the spice blend recipe for you later. These meatballs were quite addicting, he was lucky to get any in his lunch!

Today's bento:  Berbere meatballs, on a bed of organic mixed greens, enoki mushrooms. Strawberries and cherries. Mixed rice and grains pilaf with flowering chives. Some sweet and spicy mustard tucked in there and I send along some organic black cherry yogurt.

Mine was simple with the same meatballs, a couple slices of sesame crepe, strawberries. carrots, and the same yogurt. I didn't need to dip them in anything!
The berebere spice blend I just made. Recipe to come.
I thought I would share a few photos from yesterday while we were out on the ICW this is one of my favorite houses...there are many along the way that I could see myself living in...
A stop for lunch at The New Pass Grill, a perfect view, just don't feed the gulls!
Another favorite house...I see a theme here.
aaaaahhh, enjoying a relaxing Sunday on the water, with some friends. A swim at the sand bar, a good place to loose your anchor, lucky we could find it in shallow water.
An Osprey was just watching us as we went by, it's not easy getting a clear shot moving in a rocky boat as you are zooming in! Even if the boat wasn't moving it's rocking back and forth!
He flapped his wings for us, or maybe it was "she" but didn't leave the post

6 comments:

  1. I want to live there too, and have a swim off the sand bar with the ospreys!
    Love your bento with those tasty meatballs too...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyndsey, thanks for visiting my blog.
    Your bento look delicious, very appetizing.'
    Thanks for sharing all your beautiful well taken pictures.

    Have a nice day,regards. I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lucky you! such delightful pictures!! I have never heard of bento..
    I am your newest flower..pls follow back if you can.
    happy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, what yummy looking bentos!!! So visually appealing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, your meatball bento looks yummy ,,, (^^,)

    I love all your pictures especially the bird ,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Nice to see your blog, nice to meet you. Your Blog is Cool!

    I'm a beginner in making bento, please come to my blog and give me a comment. thanks before

    http://helloobento.blogspot.com/2012/10/welcome-to-hello-obento.html

    Regards,

    Elvira

    ReplyDelete

I love my bento friends and I love to hear from you. I appreciate your input, thanks!